An instrumental part of your move into the United States is getting your paperwork sorted out to comply with the authorities’ rules and regulations. Hence, in this section, you will be able to find most of what you will be needing early in the process.

The Information Given Below Is Very General And Is Not Intended To Serve As Individual Legal Advice. Each Person’s Situation Is Unique. Immigration Law Can Be Quite Complicated And Immigration Rules, Procedures And Practices Can, And Frequently Do, Change With Little Notice. If You Have Questions About The Information Presented Here, You Should Seek Advice From A Competent Legal Professional.


The G-4 visa is a nonimmigrant US visa for employees of international organizations and members of their immediate families. Officers and employees of international organizations are considered “principals” while their family members are considered “dependents.”

IDB Employees and their illegible dependents must therefore apply for a G-4 visa to be able to enter the United States to take up on an assignment at the Organization. Also, take into consideration, that some G-4 visa holders can have their domestic workers to join them. For them, a G-5 visa will be necessary.

To get the latest information and requirements click here

Registration with the Department of State

Once you have arrived to the United States, it is mandatory for all IDB Employees and their dependents to be registered before the Department of State. To do so, it is necessary to send via email to the following information for every member of the family:

For Foreigners:

  • The most recent I-94. To download it, go to
  • Copies of all passports
  • Copies of all visas
  • Copies of the latest stamps in passports given at port of entry
  • Current address in the United States

For Green Card Holders:

  • Copy of passports
  • Copy of Green Cards
  • Current address

For U.S. Citizens:

  • Copy of passports
  • Current Address

Personal Identification Number (PID)

Once the registration request is accepted by the Department of State (DoS), the Principal (IDB Staff Member or Consultant) will receive the corresponding PID Number(s) via email to his/her IDB email address.

A PID Number is required for processes such as G-4 visa renewal inside the US, among others.

Department of State Letter

A letter from the US Department of State (DoS) is necessary when a G-4 or G-5 visa holder applies for a Driver’s License or an Identification Card at the Department of Motor Vehicle, even if they have been issued a US license in the past. This process may take a few weeks.

To obtain this letter, the IDB Employee should send the name and PID number of each license or ID Card holder to be requested via email to

SSN Social Security Number

In order for you and your family, as well as your domestic aid to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN), you will all need to apply for it in person. To do so, you will need to go to one of the Social Security Administration (SSA) offices. The closest one to the IDB headquarters is located on 2100 M St, Washington, DC 20203 (on the corner of 21St & M St, NW). If you would rather go to the office that is nearest to your home, or want to get the updated opening hours, click here.

What documents do I need to bring to the Social Security Administration office?

Bank Employees and Domestic Aid with G-5 Visa:

Bank Employee dependents must have a Work Permit prior to applying for a Social Security Number. Once they have one, they should take the following documents to the SSA office:

Work Permit

Work Permit is a generic term for an Employment Authorization (EAD) granted by the US Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS), which allows a person to legally work in the United States.

Employees with a G-4 Visa and a contract of at least one (1) year may request an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) for their dependents, namely:

  • Spouses
  • Unmarried children under the age of 21
  • Unmarried children under the age of 23 who are full-time students at a post-secondary college or university

Eligible dependents must be registered with the US Department of State and have a PID Number before they can apply for work authorization. The Human Resources Service Center Visas and Related Services Office in Headquarters can assist with the verification of the appropriate documents necessary to be filled out by the applicants to obtain a Work Permit.
The following documents are required to be completed and presented at the HRSC’s Visas and Related Service Office:

  • I-765 Form, Application for Employment Authorization (Complete items 1-15, sign and date)
  • I-566 Form, Interagency Record of Request (Complete Parts 1-5, sign and date form) Provide 2 copies of the I-566 Form)

The forms can be completed online and then printed or clearly block printed by hand. If block printed, use black ink to complete the forms, however, do not sign forms in black ink. Please sign forms using blue ink. Please note that the original signature is required for both forms.

Please note that names must appear exactly as on the passport and with surname in capital letters (e.g. GARCIA PERES, Maria Ana)

In Form I-566, Part 3, only complete point #1.
In Form I-765, use the Bank’s address as the U.S. mailing address.

Submit copies of the Passport bio page, G-4 visa, and electronic Form I-94 for both, IDB Employee and applicant/dependent.

  • Offer of Employment Letter or Self-Employment Letter
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Diplomas or Certificates as proof of education or required training. If documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by a Certified Translation.

Please contact HRSC to confirm this information is up to date and valid, since requirements may change with very little notice and even though we make our best effort to keep the information valid.

Lastly, remember to include standard 2x2 inch, color, full frontal face, with white background photographs that have never been used before. It is very important that you take your ID photos that meet the requirements stated by the authority, and that they are less than 30 days old. If you fail to do so, your paperwork will not be processed. The authority WILL revoke your application and you will have to start the process from scratch. In the back, write the applicant’s name and the full name of the Organization.

Driver’s License

Employees holding a G-4 visa, their eligible dependents, and their domestic aid holding a G-5 visa may request a driver’s license.

To request a license in any jurisdiction in the United States, applicants must present a letter from the US Department of State confirming their visa status (G-4 or G-5).

Then, the applicant should work to comply with all the requirements that correspond to their State of residence as follows:

Spouse/Partner IDB Group Access Badge

ID cards are issued to spouses of Executive Directors and Staff Members and may be obtained with an email from the ED or Staff Member to The expiration date on the ID card will coincide with the expiration date of the requestor’s ID card.

Please note that the spouse/partner will need to be registered with HRD to have IDs processed.