New Work Permit Entitlements and Requirements for Employees and Eligible Dependents in the U.S.
Eligible G-4 dependents who seek employment in the U.S. must obtain work authorization. If an employee holds a G-4 visa and has a contract of at least one (1) year, a work permit can be requested for his/her eligible dependents:
- Unmarried children under age 21;
- Unmarried children under age 23 who are full-time students at a post-secondary college or university; and
- Unmarried children of any age who are physically or mentally disabled.
Eligible dependents may be authorized to work in any type of job, including unskilled or semi-skilled jobs, on a part-time or temporary basis. Dependents who seek employment at another international organization may either become a principal staff member in that institution or work under valid work authorization as a G-4 dependent.
Eligible dependents must be registered with the State Department and have a PID number before they can apply for work authorization. This process cannot be initiated prior to the staff member’s entry on duty.
The following documents are required:
- Completed Form I-566 (Interagency Record of Request for Dependent Employment Authorization), completed in duplicate;
- Completed Form I-765 (Employment Authorization), which will be sent from the DOS(Department of State) to the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) as a request for an EAC (Employment Authorization Card);
- Copy of principal’s and applicant’s passport biographic page, G-4 Visa and Form I-94 (Both sides);
- Self-Employment Letter or Job Offer Letter, which should include the position title, job description, salary, and statement of qualification of candidate, and must be signed and dated within 30 days from the date of submission;
- Two (2) current color photographs (2 x 2 inch, color, full frontal face passport with white background);
- If the applicant is a full-time student over the age of 16 and under the age of 21, a signed and stamped certification from the educational institution must be submitted (stating that the applicant is a full-time student and the expected date of graduation);
- If the applicant is a full-time student under 16 years of age, a labor certification will be required; and
- If the applicant is a full-time student over the age of 21 and under 23, a Family Status Justification Form must be submitted (please send an email to the Visa Team at HRSC@iadb.org in order to request this Form).
The DOS will endorse the I-566 and forward the request to USCIS, which issues the EAC to the applicant. Once an individual receives the EAC, he/she may begin to work and apply for a U.S. Social Security number.
Renewal Work Permit Requirements for Employees and Eligible Dependents in the U.S.
Same documentation required for new applications, plus the following:
- Copy of old work permit (front and back);
- Complete tax returns (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ) found under IRS website. If the applicant did not file tax returns, a “To whom it may concern” letter stating the reason why returns were filed is required; and
- If the card has already expired, a “To whom it may concern” letter stating the reasons for the gap and delay in requesting the renewal of the work authorization card is required.
There are several organizations in the United States that offer academic records translation services and foreign credential evaluation from universities in different countries to their U.S. equivalent. Here you will find a list of the most popular agencies used by our members: Foreign Credential Evaluation Agencies.
There are numerous companies, which offer a wide range of business cards. Prices vary according to the paper quality, design and shipping choices. For instance, you can choose between a basic rectangular or a rounded corner card made of gloss paper, green paper (recycled paper printed using wind power, etc.) or satin paper among other varieties.
Another inexpensive option is to make your own business cards, so just buy laser or inkjet micro perforated business cards whose brands are Avery, Office depot, Staples, among others. Those brands usually direct you to a website where you can work on by designing and printing them with your laser or inkjet printer at home.
As per customer’s request, some suppliers send free sample packs to your address.
Main data to include in your business card is:
- Profession and/or field of interest
- Telephone/s number
- Email address and your website
- LinkedIn address
- Business address (not mandatory)
- QR code
Some companies used by our IDB Family members are:
Notice that either Office Depot or Staples offer custom printing services. Please check store services before visiting it. You may want to Google “Business Cards” to find suppliers.